11.07.2007

What can anyone say about you?

The downside to working in such an expansive library is the closeness of countless texts I wish to engage with. I have a feeling as I change my major from World Literature to Social Work, I shall spend much more free time tasting new words and collections.

Just moments ago, before my shift started, I made my way through the stacks, scooping up Merton, St. Augustine, and a collection of essays from The Catholic Worker on nonviolent social change. Contributers including, but not limited to: Dorothy Day, John Cogley, Gordon Zahn, Thomas Merton, Henri Nouwen, etc.

I began Confessions by St. Augustine as I was walking up the stairs. [I've been meaning to read this for some obscene amount of time, and am only just now getting to it! Ah, but better now than tomorrow, or next year.] It already has my brain churning.

For now I reccomend Happy Are You Poor by Thomas Dubay, as I just finished it hours ago. Still picking away at To Have or To Be? by Fromm... there's just so much in it that I want to absorb... Did I ever mention Nawal el Saadawi? Please do yourself a favor and introduce yourself to Nawal.

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...."

I have much farther to go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you'll find Confessions a rewarding read, I enjoyed it very much. It was a lot to work through, but worth it. I always tell people if you want to read a book where someone praises God, a lot, then it's a good choice.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home