2.11.2008

fool

I got so prideful last night, thinking the Lord has given me a special blessing-- so self-righteous. How dangerous.

The following seem applicable:

"It's a grave temptation-- to want to help people."

"Many young people picture themselves to be immortal, as they are well along the road of arrogance. Young bright people are even further along-- all these smart thoughts to show to others. Young, bright, idealistic people are tempted in a special way by arrogance. The ambition they have to change the world can turn into a bullying of others and a terrible habit of patronizing everyone but themselves. I wasn't all that bright, but I could write fairly good articles, and I was full of idealism, and I was a young, politically-conscious person- we thought ourselves to be liberated- and the result was a fairly swollen head."

Both from Dorothy Day: A Radical Devotion

I do not claim to be bright, but I am young (in more than one way) and this idealism usually gets me into trouble somehow.

And I do have that terrible habit. Lord have mercy.

2 Comments:

Blogger wendi said...

how true

2:25 PM  
Blogger Alan Files said...

this book sounds dangerous. (what a word, define it yourself!) we should talk about it sometime.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home