2.07.2006

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow..."

Haitians vote in Port-Au-Prince today! Aristide is in South Africa, so we'll see what happens. Let us pray for the UN peacekeepers, and the election workers, and the Haitians themselves.

So last night I learned about a disease, FOP (Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva), from which new, extra, and unnecessary bones grow inside muscle and other tissues. It is genetic, and about 1 in every two million people have it. It progresses over time (hence the Progressiva) and the oldest living person with it is 55, named Robert (if I remember correctly), living in Scotland. He is permanently in the upright position. When a person with FOP is injured (even scrapes and bumps) this causes a flare up and this is when extra bone grows. Little Luciana, a little girl in England, is living with the disease and probably more strong and brave than most. She can't do many things, but she laughs and loves. Oh, Luciana, I wonder if she'll ever know how inspiring she is, and if she did, would that be of any comfort to her at all?

Captivating should probably be read by you.

"I know I am not alone in this nagging sense of failing to measure up, a feeling of not being good enough as a woman. Every woman I've ever met feels it--something deeper than just the sense of failing at what she does. An underlying, gut feeling of failing at who she is. I am not enough, and, I am too much at the same time. Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough. But too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy. The result is Shame, the universal companion of women."

But then comes the assurance that,

"The King is enthralled by your beauty."
Psalm 45:11

And that's all that really matters, despite initially how hard that is to grasp.

I've got dishes to do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that. And I love that you're reading Captivating and I'm reading Authentic Beauty and it wasn't even planned. We just have the same brilliant ideas.

8:44 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

Yeah, we are pretty brilliant, aren't we? Haha, Katie from grade 3, you just keep showing up in my life.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I found you on facebook and my life hasn't been the same since.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home