3.02.2007

"When you wake up, if you're very lucky, you'll be in Utah."

Please listen to this if you have about twenty-six minutes. It sounds like a long time, but if you're near things to do, like knitting, card making, cleaning or folding clothes then you're just being told a story while you are productive!

http://audio.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/307.mp3

If you love the Russian mind, or the misery of life, or adventure, then listen to this (Act One). Also take note of how the journalist narrating sounds frighteningly like Luke Opplinger. That makes things a little more interesting.


Just in case you absolutely cannot hear the story enriched by the Russian accent and Luke O voice, here are some fantastic quotes:

Alex: "I was even singing a song walking, and the birds were screaming something to me, and I'm like "yeah!" you know, I made it!"

Alex: "I was thinking, 'how in the hell did I get myself into this situation?' I never believed that something like this could happen in New York City, you know, in such a huge city that you could see sky scrapers like ten miles away, and the other side you can die looking at them. You know? And also I got a little mad at the city of New York, you know, like I could understand if they just had like one pay phone there, or at least, I don't know, like a button to press, to know that you're there, you know?"
[In reference to being on a nearby island]

Alex: "I like badgers for the same reason probably I like the state of Utah, where I never was, you know? It's like, something that has some kind of uh, what's it called, like a secret or it's hiding or it's like they attract me in the way that they might be hiding something cool from me."

Alex: "I think if I was a boring person and stayed at home all the time and be like a nerd I would never get into this situation so I think this happened uh, strictly because I was with the right people, at the right time, in the right situation, you know?"
Narrator: "Think about that. Every step of the way, by almost any measure, Alex could not have been more wrong. It takes a special kind of grace to turn that into 'right time, right place'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home