3.09.2006

...the most precious

It's been a significant length of time since I've last updated. Oh, dear reader, things are crazy. My sweet sweet Lord isn't letting go of me in the crowd of things my life has become cluttered with.

"I don't love studying. I hate studying. I like learning. Learning is beautiful." -Natalie Portman. Who quotes Natalie Portman? Well, apparently me. I hate college. Good thing it's week ten.

I'm in the midst of a long and hard battle between myself and chocolate in the solid form (ie not hot chocolate, white mochas, etc.) also known as the addictive kind. I'm hoping the process of weaning myself off this delectable sweet during this particular period of time will render me capable of surviving through non-Lenten days without it. So, yes, I fully recognize that it is an addiction.

I really ought to update my "Favorites" playlist in ITunes. Just as other things, favorites change.

I can't wait to go to the city next week. I'm going to spend an abnormal amount of money at STRAND [home to 18 miles of books] (I figure I'll just get a bunch of classics, right?) and maybe see what's up (if anything) with the NoHo market?

"Sometimes I think I'm the only cab on the road."

My Life In Orange by Tim Guest is good. I finished it this morning when I should have been in Philosophy but was coughing up my lungs and being really gross like that. It is an amazing account of a young boy growing up in sannyasin communes in India, England, Germany, and Oregon with his Mother and her boyfriend, Sujan. Those who chose to take sannyas followed Bhagwan, an Indian man who claimed to have reached enlightenment at a young age, donned in colors of the sun, wearing malas, and participating in rituals of meditation and silence. Tim, whose sannyasin name was Yogesh, is thrown in the Kid's Hut at Medina Rajneesh with the other sannyasin children left to grow up depending on each other for happiness.

Obviously there is much more, and it's all very interesting, but I have no time left for more details. I'll have it back to the wpl in a day or so if you plan on reading it.

I really hate that I missed Philosophy today because it was our last class before the final so I'mmma hafta educate myself on race theory, and my brains not really accepting calls now.

"In my loneliness, the smallest things seemed the most precious." Guest

3 Comments:

Blogger tyler said...

Speaking of books, are there any you particularly reccomend, or perhaps might let me borrow?

I'm on my way through Wild At Heart by the same guy who co-authored Captivating, I also just bought I Kissed Dating Goodbye and Boy Meets Girl. I'm in no hurry to amass books until I read the ones I have, but I was rather curious.

Until another crazy day, adios!

6:10 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

Why, yes there are!
(I tried to eliminate some, but I can't cut out any of these from the list.)

Praise Habit, by David Crowder
ReUnderstanding Prayer by Kyle Lake
All Don Miller
All C.S. Lewis.

That is, if you are looking in the genre of Christian Literature. If not, there are plenty more.

I have the Crowder, the Lake, as far as Miller goes I have three out of four of his.. I would recommend Blue Like Jazz and Through Painted Deserts, although Searching For God Knows What is good too. (The other I don't own and haven't read is titled, To Own A Dragon). Lewis, I only own The Great Divorce, The Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, Till We Have Faces, and other Lewis stuff that is not in novel form. The Great Divorce is my favorite, The Screwtape Letters is really great-- depicts how Satan and his demons try to capture us. So you can borrow any of those you like, but seeing as you have a few books lined up just let me know whenever. For further information on these you can just google them. This comment is rather extensive as is...

Also, I would recommend reading Captivating. I'm not sure if you have but I think it's important to read cross-gender material especially if it aids the process of understanding, relating to, and lifting up your sisters in Christ.

6:36 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

(When you're finished with Wild At Heart, you might recommend it to a girl friend! I read it a couple years ago and I'm glad I did.)

I think I'm done now.. haha.

Have a good weekend :)

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home