6.28.2006

Comfort Food

I made plans earlier in the week to coax the domestic damsel in myself out from wherever it is she has been hiding in past cooking endeavors, and am now committed to pulling off a potato dish tonight in the company of Kim and Stiffler. I'm not sure when I decided it would be practical for me to agree to this, but when I began searching allrecipes.com the doubts of my cooking abilities shot out from my computer screen like darts with each Martha Stewarty "quick & easy" recipe I found. The secret about "quick & easy" recipes are they are often not quick at all, nor easy by any stretch of the imagination, unless you think 8.3 ingredients for a simple potato dish can be classified as such.

I just wanted to make some simple form of potatoes to compliment the real main dish Kim is assembling. Mashed or scalloped, whatever. Maybe cheese or perhaps plain, it matters not. Now, however, I have my choice from quite an astounding number of year long recipe for mashed, mushed, smashed, hash, baked, fried, country-fied, wedged, marinated, roasted, rosemary-ed, smothered, Dijon-ed, and most recently (my favorite and a likely candidate!) Schwabischer Kartoffelsalat! Which is actually German potato salad, but why not tag it with a complicated name as an accurate indicator of its complicated nature?

Tonight will be interesting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should have gone with twice-baked. Those always look fancy and aren't really that tough to make. I'll award you the effort points and completion points based on my belief that you do well in all things.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can't go wrong with any of the options.
they still are.. and always will be.. my favorite

(but ovbiously i agree with andrew on the twiced baked being a quick and easy delight)

-michelle

10:56 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

Andrew- Thanks for the completion points. So you know, I sliced those red potatoes and cooked them in a pan on the stove with butter/oil and sprinkled "Mrs. Dash's Table Blend" on top, which was such a fantastic seasoning. I hope to add Mrs. Dash to all my future meals, it is amazing. Yeah, let's hear it for Mrs. Dash.

Michelle- I came across a recipe for those when I was searching and thought of you!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home