4.19.2006

"Stop the violence, take back the night!"

There's nothing I love more than a feisty candlelit rally & march that clogs up Main St. all the while chanting, "Stop the violence, take back the night!" In theory it was fantastic, but the frat boys behind me screaming, "Stop the violence, get drunk tonight!" turned the event more comedic than serious, because really, how much more can you justify the frat boy stereotype than that? [Don't get me wrong, my brother is in a fraternity and I love him terribly]

Sometimes I forget about the nice grassy area in the middle of Towers, Battelle, and the Science Building, and what a shame that really is. It's so beautiful and all kinds of perfect for blankets, reading, frisbee, writing, etc.

Today I got Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea for $4.99. It's highlighted so I got excited, but as I was investigating after the purchase, it turns out whoever read the book while simultaneously highlighting has different methods and reasons for highlighting [or in my case, underlining] than I do. I can't say which is irregular, or if there even is such a thing as irregular book highlighting, but if there were, I would be unable to tell you who is doing it improperly. My point is: I've never conversed with someone about the matter. As I was reading parts highlighted, I was just thinking, "Man, what on earth is this highlighted for?" Perhaps I'll just need to read it in context to understand, and that surely won't take me long. It's a very short book.

I had baked potato soup, how lucky am I? What are the odds that the one day I go to Panera baked potato soup is on the list? Someone's looking out for me, and maybe you think God doesn't have time to put baked potato soup on the board and arrange it so I'm there on that day, but it was encouraging in its own way, and I think He certainly does have time for that, along with other small yet potentially huge things such as insuring your safety during a candlelit march so that you do not trip and consequently shove the candle in your own face or on the person in front of you. It's all gold, do you get that.

Also, I found this infinitely charming and endearing book of poetry today. Why do I not remember the poet's name? This is the sort of frustrating that makes you want a rewind button. Sometimes a rewind button would help very little, but I feel at this instant that it would help greatly. Anyway, I should have purchased it, but I tried to practice self-control and resist. It was signed by the poet, and there was the cutest card inside that said some lines about nature, all very Wordsworth, then you could mail it to the address on the card. It confided in you that if you did indeed agree with these lines concerning the quality of nature, then you were able to recognize "everything lovely." Aw, thank you small blue card from long ago, I feel like you're just sweet talking me. Anyway, the book was full of surprises like random pages of nice paper with nothing on them. Bits and pieces of words all amongst cute simple art. I need to go back and get it, speaking of it makes me cringe with regret.

The religion/philosophy club at Otterbein seriously celebrated Descartes' birthday on the 6th! How cute & nerdy is that? I love it. To do: Celebrate a dead author/philosopher's birthday.

Oh, I saw Andrea Opplinger at Panera. Let's talk about how her and Luke are my favorite couple. Really, they win everything. You should talk to them if you ever have the opportunity, you'll thank yourself.

I can't get enough Half-Handed Cloud sometimes, times like right now.

Okay great, now a little on Western Imperialism...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss hanging out with you, miss kelly young.

-kelly.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me that reading the highlighted/underlined parts is kind of like just flipping through a book and picking out random sections and reading them. And if it's only like 130 pgs what not read the whole thing? Or just get the sparknotes?

Oh and I can't remember the last time I posted in my xanga so I wouldn't count on anything appearing there.

:]

8:20 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

Kelly: And I miss hanging out with you too.

Andy: Haha, yes I do plan on reading the whole book, it's just at the end of a long book list so it might be a little while, and I am impatient. Yeah, I just realized you hadn't posted since November- But I saw you on Kim's Xanga and I just got so excited that I knew you that I subscribed. What can I say.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll throw frisbee with you in the grass by the buildings that are sweet.

-carl

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home